Lamlash is the largest village by population on the Isle of Arran. It lies 4 miles to the south of ferry port Brodick, facing Holy Isle.
A prehistoric ring of stones indicates that an ancient settlement has existed near Lamlash since antiquity. The name Lamlash dates back to the 6th Century hermitage of Saint Molaise a Celtic monk, who in 590AD spent some time in a cave on the neighbouring Holy Island.
The original sandstones which underly Holy Island were laid down around 260 million years ago in the Permian era. These rocks were then subject to intrusion by igneous material in the Tertiary, about 65 million years ago.
Holy Isle was acquired for the Samye Ling Buddhist Centre in 1991. Originally known as eilean Molaise (Mo Las’ Island) from its once-resident patron saint Mo Las, who was born in Ireland in 566AD.
For access to Holy Island, please contact the Holy Isle Ferry:
01770 700463 (Jim)
07970 771960 (Mobile)
The Holy Island website
Pladda was formed mainly from of intrusion of quartz-dolerite
igneous rock in the Tertiary era, about 65 million years ago.
Privately owned, it is a favoured nesting site for terns and other seabirds.
The first lighthouse was established on Pladda in 1790.
The name Whiting Bay is thought to originate from “Viking” Bay. It is approximately 3 miles south of the village of Lamlash. Whiting Bay is the third largest village on the island (after Lamlash and Brodick).
The spectacular Glenashdale Falls with a nearby Iron Age fort and a prehistoric burial site the “Giants’ Graves” are an easy walk from the village.
To the north of the village at Kings Cross Point between Lamlash and Whiting Bay is another Iron Age fort known locally as the “Viking Fort”. This site was also the location of a Viking ship burial excavated in the earlier 20th century.